How we help enrich lives
If we are going to help our residents live better, then it is our responsibility to offer them every opportunity to be actively engaged and involved. At Extendicare Preston, we provide social and recreational services seven days a week - including holidays. These services are designed to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual needs of our residents. All activities are developed, organized and led by qualified staff and we offer both group and individualized services to meet residents’ unique needs and circumstances. Examples of our recreational services and activities include:
- Serene Environment: Situated on the southeast edge of Saskatoon, our single storey home in located in a quiet mature residential neighbourhood on 3 landscaped acres. Inside there is a very home-like and friendly atmosphere and outside residents enjoy an outer and inner courtyard, beautiful flowerbeds, benches and walking paths.
- Happy Hour Fridays: Every Friday is Happy Hour when residents can relax and socialize over a maximum of 2 drinks.
- Resident Choir & Bell Choir: Our Resident Choir and Bell Choir both meet once a month and perform every year at our Christmas Concert.
- Movement to Music: We have Movement to Music seated exercise classes twice a week where residents exercise to music.
- Canning & Baking Group: Our Canning & Baking Group gets together regularly to make preserves and baked goods to sell and raise funds for a variety of causes and for Residents Council.
- Tykes and Tots Intergenerational Program: We have a very active Tykes and Tots Intergenerational Program that brings children from the daycare once a week and elementary school students twice a month into our home to spend time with our residents.
- Drama Club: In addition, the Drama Club students from the local high student perform or rehearse in our home twice monthly.
- Animal Visitors: We often bring animals into our home for residents to experience and enjoy. We have even had a reindeer in our home
- Reminiscing Session: Once monthly we have a Reminiscing Session that involves pulling items from various years out of a suitcase and discussing the memories they trigger.
- Diners Club: The Diners Club gets together regularly to enjoy a special meal.
- Summer Bonfires: Weather permitting; our residents enjoy sitting around a bonfire and reminiscing together.
- Fit Minds Session: Once a week, our Fit Minds Session uses trivia, games, researching topics on the internet and other forms of cognitive stimulation to give our residents’ a mental workout.
We also offer a wide range of physiotherapy, cognitive, speech and occupational therapies according to the needs of our residents. Currently we offer:
- Occupational Therapist
- Recreational Therapist